Configuration Safe Store
Metaswitch Configuration Safe Store (DC-CSS) is an optional package of source code and tools providing significant availability and fault tolerance advancements in management of configuration information. Designed for carrier grade environments, DC-CSS enables users to store system configuration data to file where it can be automatically retrieved for rapid configuration restoration after a restart, failure, or upgrade. DC-CSS works in conjunction with Metaswitch's routing and MPLS products as well as third party implementations.
Along with its main function of storing configuration information to file, DC-CSS provides the following features
- Checkpointing & Rollback
- The user may manually select DC-CSS to save the current configuration to file; storage of multiple configurations is possible. The user may rollback to any configuration at any time where only the affected resources will restart.
- Failover Restoration
- DC-CSS works in conjunction with Metaswitch's System Manager (see diagram below) to automatically restore active configuration information that is lost during a failure.
- Graceful Restart
- After a system failure or restart DC-CSS will restore to the last running configuration - identical to the function of a restarting router in the Graceful Restart standards.
- Hot Software Upgrade & Downgrade
- DC-CSS is fully integrated with Metaswitch's High Availability Framework which can be used to manually upgrade or downgrade to a different configuration file without a system restart.
- File Converter
- An offline file converter tool is available which converts binary configuration text into human readable text format. This allows users to read checkpointed configuration files, for example. The same tool can also convert text files to binary enabling users to input configuration information directly to a storage file.
- Version Converter
- This offline tool aids in the conversion of the configuration file between different versions of DC-CSS. Version converter can be helpful during upgrades/downgrades of DC-CSS.
- Error Handling
- DC-CSS has the ability to detect, trap, and log configuration errors. DC-CSS monitors for errors such as invalid file types, memory constraints, unrecognized commands, and invalid configurations.
- DC-CSS can be distributed to any linecard, location, or processor in a system. This enables flexible deployment scenarios where, for example, DC-CSS could be located on a file server while the DC products are distributed to linecards.
The diagram below shows the DC-CSS architecture and how it interfaces with other components.
DC-CSS is able to store configuration for the following Metaswitch products.
For more information about Metaswitch's
Configuration Safe Store product and expertise contact