Multicast IP Routing
Multicast IP Routing Software
Metaswitch provides a complete range of network software products for Core, Edge, Border and IGMP/MLD Proxy multicast routers
as well as OLTs, DSLAMs, carrier Ethernet platforms and any other devices driving triple play and next generation
services. Metaswitch also provides a complete suite of unicast IP routing products, which includes
OSPF(-TE) and RIP. For more information please
follow these links.
Metaswitch's Multicast IP Routing products have been architected from
the ground up to support the requirements of modern networks, with scalability, redundancy, traffic engineering and many
other features designed into the very first releases of this software.
Metaswitch Multicast Routing Common Features:
- Full mandatory protocol support (as specified in the relevant RFCs and Internet-Drafts).
- Optional enhancements to the protocol for next-generation applications.
- Support for virtual routers.
- Distribution to provide maximum scalability.
- Redundancy so that the software continues to function following hardware/software failure.
- Integration with Metaswitch's unicast IP Routing products.
- Full MIB support.
A "multicast router" can provide a range of different
functionality. Metaswitch's Multicast IP Routing software is designed for all these applications.
Multicast Core Routers
- Single multicast domain
- Handle multicast routing protocol communication with other multicast routers
Multicast Edge Routers
- Handle IGMP and MLD requests
- Provide core router functionality
Multicast Border Routers
- Bridge multicast domains running the same, or different,
internal multicast routing protocols
- Provide core or edge router functionality
- Aggregate group membership requests from downstream hosts
- Forward requests upstream to the designated multicast router
- Examples: IP DSLAMs and OLTs (Optical Line Termination)
Massively Scaled Routers
- Smart cache technology
- Distributed architecture
- High Availability Framework
- State replication between instances
- Metaswitch's Multicast IP Routing products
share a common architecture to facilitate the integration of the family