BGP/MPLS VPNs, as defined in RFC 2547/4364 and related drafts and standards,
provide a Layer 3 VPN capability.
Metaswitch's DC-VPN Manager is an extension to DC-BGP. It provides VPN routing
and forwarding software that facilitates the implementation of BGP/MPLS VPNs.
In conjunction with DC-MPLS, and other routing products (such as DC-OSPF, DC-ISIS,
and DC-RIP), it provides a fully integrated, scalable, source code implementation
of Layer 3 VPNs.
DC-VPN Manager is designed for communications equipment manufacturers building
Provider Edge (PE) or Customer Edge (CE) devices, including edge routers,
enterprise routers, and MSPPs.
For more information about BGP/MPLS VPNs, see
Layer 3 VPNs.
For more information about other MPLS-enabled services, see
The DC-VPN Manager software coordinates VPN activities including
- providing flexible internet access to all VPNs
- leaking VPN Routing and Forwarding (VRF) table routes into the provider's network,
under the control of local policy, for example to enable individual VPN addresses
to be advertised to the internet
- requesting labels from DC-MPLS Label Manager and passing them to other
Provider Edge (PE) routers using DC-BGP
- implementing the VPN-MIB (RFC 4382), plus extensions for configuring the VPNs
and defining policies for route propagation)
- implementing the BGP-MPLS IP VPN extension for IPv6 VPN (RFC 4659).
The diagram below shows the architecture of a
PE router providing VPN routing and forwarding using DC-VPN Manager.
For inquiries about Metaswitch's
MPLS products and expertise contact